Sunday 24 May 2015

And now we're up to date...

Now that I've posted up a few photos from previous years, I'll introduce the project. My name is Joanne, I'm a postgraduate student at Brighton University, and I study the value of urban gardens for the conservation of pollinators.

Before I started this research I was interested in creating habitats to encourage garden wildlife, particularly wild pollinators. I had known about this medium sized scrap of land just outside Lewes in East Sussex, roughly 400m2, where some old farm buildings had previously stood and very close to a house some of my family rent. In 2013 I was given permission to do a bit of clearing and gardening on this area.



This photo doesn't show the whole plot, but it's the area I initially started on. It was taken in the spring, in the summer the patch is normally chest-high with stinging nettles and thistles, both of which are really important for pollinators, small tortoiseshells for instance. So I've never intended to take back all them, and two years on there's still PLENTY of nettles at the back and in the woodland section to the left in the photo, and the thistles have remained a feature in the flowerbeds I planted.

Plant selection
The site is surrounded by farmland and many species-rich hedgerows and verges, so my intention was to plant lots of pollen and nectar-rich species, but also let any wildflowers in the seedbank establish.

As a general rule I follow two plant lists (I'm not a huge fan of plant lists for pollinators, perhaps I'll do another post on that, but when I started this project I needed some reference point), the RHS Perfect for Pollinators and, more recently Plants for Bees, by Kirk and Howes. Occasionally I've been given plants to put in, but generally speaking all of the plants that are now on the patch are ones that have been shown to attract pollinators.

Having now studied plant selection for my masters degree, I know more about which plants to pick, and I'd say roughly 80% of what's growing there now has been grown from seed.

 In the background: borage, ornamental poppies, ragwort and in the foreground: rose campion, cornflower and calendula.



Cornflower

 One of my favourites on the patch - cardoon.







1 comment:

  1. Wow what an amazing patch! You have certainly worked very hard, well done!

    ReplyDelete